Awesome reminder why we are on this journey!
10. The schedule is flexible. The graduate school cares more about whether you do a good job than what time of the day you do it. That is, unless you’re doing a time-course experiment – then you’re at the experiment’s mercy.
9. It’s a meritocracy. To do a good job, you need to do good science.
8. My boss is a scientist.
7. You’re surrounded by nerds. I can rhapsodize about how cool carbonic anhydrase is to my fellow grads, and they’ll know what the heck I’m talking about.* They probably feel the same way about carbonic anhydrase.
6. You can spend all day surrounded by your Eppendorf tubes if you want to.
5. You get to work on a Machine. Or at least I do. The Machine I work with weighs at least 50 pounds and is controlled by a computer that runs DOS.
4. Ph.D. Comics.
View original post 160 more words